Constituent Letter Project
You will be writing a letter to a state senator or representative. In order to accomplish this:
- You need to identify who your representatives are.
- You need to identify an issue that:
- You care about
- The State of Florida can address constitutionally (i.e.: The State of Florida cannot improve relations with foreign countries.)
- You need to write a one-page letter to your state senator or representative. Your letter should:
- Identify the issue you care about.
- Identify why the issue impacts you and your community personally.
- Identify three reasons, supported by facts, as to why the state should act.
- Identify how you want your representative to act, by proposing an idea for legislation.
5. Request for the representative to respond to your letter with how they propose to act.
In order to find your state senator and representative, visit the "Find My Representative" page at MyFloridaHouse.com. To look up the background of the representative or senator you choose to write, visit Ballotpedia. To find out more about the issue you care about, find an Interest Group related yo your topic at VoteSmart.org. Feel free to use any other resources to gather the information necessary to write your letter. While you may type or write a rough draft or plan beforehand, your final version of the letter will be written in class during the class period following the Chapter 13 test. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Bunch at firstname.lastname@example.org.